Mastodon

Camp Ashraf: 6 Years Later

The 2013 Camp Ashraf massacre (also referred to as the September 1 massacre) was a terrorist attack on the Camp Ashraf refugee camp of the People’s Mujahedin of Iran (PMOI/MEK), leaving 52 PMOI members dead and 7 missing. Iraqi security forces were responsible for the assault, with guidance and support from the Iranian IRGC.

Accounts of the violence given by MEK spokesmen and different local officials vary. MEK officials said Iraqi forces attacked Camp Ashraf early on Sunday September 1st, firing mortar rounds. Some Iraqi reports confirmed that mortar rounds had been fired without identifying their origin, but said the deaths came during subsequent clashes. Others said the blasts heard at the camp were caused by oil and gas canisters exploding. Another source said there had been a raid on the camp overnight, but put the death toll at only 19. But the reality is 52 innocent people were killed in the attack.

(Below is a copy of the Iran Liberation Issue #362 that was published right after the attack on Camp Ashraf)
Iran Liberation Issue #362

On that day, Iraqi special forces under the command of al-Maliki raided Camp Ashraf, brutally murdering 52 residents and abducting seven others. The camp was home to 100 members of the People’s Mojahedin Organization of Iran (PMOI/MEK), the main opposition to the dictatorship ruling Iran. Back then, Al-Maliki was hoping to gain support from the Mullahs for a third term as prime minister.

 

The victims, all protected persons under the Fourth Geneva Convention and classified as “persons of concern” who enjoy “international protection” by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, the U.N. refugee agency, were residing in the camp based on assurances given by the U.N., the U.S., and the Iraqi government.

While undeniable evidence proved that the highest levels of al-Maliki’s government were directly involved in planning and staging the massacre, the U.S. and U.N. abstained from investigating the crime, leaving the task to al-Maliki’s government itself. The results were predictable.

After six years, not a single person has been arrested. The incident has once again become the focus of attention among human rights groups and activists. On that day, 52 innocent people died. Justice must be served.

You May Also Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sign the Petition

45 labour activists were arrested by the Islamic Regime in Iran! We need your support!

45 labour activists were arrested by the Islamic Regime in Iran! We need your support!

FREE ALL Labor activists in Iran

I express my strongest protest against the arrest and detention of those who participated in the gathering of May Day 2019 in Tehran. I demand the following:

♦️All the May Day detainees in Iran must be immediately and unconditionally released!
♦️All charges against labor rights activists including ‘national security’ charges must be dropped!
♦️The terror and violence against workers and their families must stop!
♦️Workers in Iran should be able to freely exercise their fundamental rights to organize, set up their own organisations, and take part in rallies, assemblies and protests, and to take part in strike action!

**your signature**

Share this with your friends:

Tehran Partly Cloudy
24(°C)
Wind 7(mph)
Pressure 26.10(in)
Visibility 6.0(mi)
UV Index 0-Low
Humidity 26.10(in)
en_USEnglish
arالعربية en_USEnglish
%d bloggers like this: